3 cups all purpose flour
1tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1tsp. fresh ground cardamon
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
vegetable oil for frying.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and cardamon; set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together egg, milk and vegetable oil. Add in the dry ingredients.
- knead dough about 5 minutes until soft and smooth. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky, but be careful not to add too much. Shape into a bowl and let it rest in a bowl, covered with a cloth for 1 or 2 hours.
- Roll the dough on a slightly floured surface to a thickness of 1 cm. Cut the mandazi dough using a small cookie cutter.
- Place a small amount of grated chocolate on the center of each piece, wrap the dough and roll between palms to smooth.
- Heat your oil to 180Â°c or use one dough and dip to test if the oil is hot enough. Fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown in color. Then using a slotted spoon, remove from the hot oil and place them on a large plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- For the chocolate sauce heat 1/4 cup heavy cream and pour on grated chocolate to melt.
Best enjoyed warm/hot.